The Foods & Nutrition Corner is brought to you on a monthly basis by students in Waukee High School's APEX program. In consultation with registered dietitians from Fareway, students research a variety of nutrition topics focused on improving the well-being of student-athletes. We'll also share a new recipe every month related to the primary topic discussed.
This month's Foods & Nutrition Corner written by Emma Clayton, Waukee APEX Associate
Eating Well On the Go
As young athletes we are almost always busy, constantly running to and from classes and practices. The energy needs for an athlete are greater than the needs of an average person, so what we are eating is very important. A helpful tip is to pack snacks for your day before you go. This will limit the amount of convenience foods you purchase that may affect performance.
With some help from Fareway dietitian, Whitney Hemmer, here is a list of some smart and quick breakfasts and snack options:
- Apple slices with peanut butter
- Mini Pizza: Toast an English muffin, drizzle with pizza sauce and sprinkle with low-fat mozzarella cheese
- Mix together peanut butter and cornflakes in a bowl. Shape into balls and roll in crushed graham crackers
- Blend low-fat milk, frozen strawberries and a banana for thirty seconds for a delicious smoothie.
- Snack kabobs: Put cubes of low-fat cheese and grapes on pretzel sticks.
- Mix together ready-to-eat cereal, dried fruit and nuts in a sandwich bag for an on-the-go snack.
- Top low-fat vanilla yogurt with crunchy granola and sprinkle with blueberries.
Recipe for Peanut Butter Bites
- 1 cup oats
- ½ cup natural peanut butter
- ½ cup ground flaxseeds
- ⅓ cup honey
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl
- Form into bite sized balls and store in the refrigerator
Click here to find the nutrition information and optional ingredients to customize this recipe.
The IGHSAU Foods & Nutrition Corner is created by high school students in Waukee High School's APEX program. The IGHSAU is thankful for its partnership with Waukee APEX to create meaningful content to share with our member schools, student-athletes, coaches, and fans. To learn more about Waukee APEX, click here.