The Health & Wellness Corner is brought to you on a monthly basis by students in Waukee High School's APEX program. In consultation with fitness experts from Premier Athlete Training, students research a variety of health & wellness topics focused on improving the well-being of student-athletes. We'll also share a new a variety of fitness tips every month related to the primary topic discussed.
This month's Health & Wellness Corner written by Emma Clayton, Waukee APEX Associate
The Importance of Balance
Why is it important to incorporate balance into your training?
- Use your strength to its highest potential
- Without balance the strength you’ve built up won’t be as effective
- Maintain skill and activity
- Adding balance training will help you keep your skills even in the offseason
- Better reactions
- Good balance will allow your body to react better when something goes wrong
- Improve your posture
- Ignites a muscular and skeletal balance that protects from injury
- Improve an athletes confidence
- Successfully doing balance exercises can boost an athlete's confidence while performing
- Lower risk of injuries
- Risk of injury is lower because good balance reduces any unnecessary effort when playing or practicing
- More control over your body
- You will have a clear mind and be more focused
Exercises to Improve Your Balance
The IGHSAU Health & Wellness Corner is created by high school students in Waukee High School's APEX program. The IGHSAU is thankful for its partnership with Waukee APEX to create meaningful content to share with our member schools, student-athletes, coaches, and fans. To learn more about Waukee APEX, click here.